Picked Fresh at Maan Farms
For many Lower Mainland residents, local strawberries are more than a delicious treat. Their early season, when compared to most other summer fruits, is a harbinger of changing seasons, fast-approaching summer evenings on the patio, blueberries, raspberries, and the belle of the ball, Okanagan fruit.
Meridian sources local strawberries from a small handful of select farms, but our main provider, and Fraser Valley favourite, is Maan Farms in Abbotsford.
About Maan Farms
- Started in 1977 by Jawahar and Gurbachan Maan (Grandma and Grandpa)
- First roadside stand opened in 1982
- Currently co-owned by their son, Kris, and his wife, Devinder
- Third generation of the family now leads Maan's management
- Corn-maze and pumpkin patch added in 2006
- Estate winery introduced in 2013
- Farm weddings launched in 2016
Fun Facts and a Bit of History
- Strawberries have been a treasured fruit throughout Europe for thousands of years.
- They were much sought after by Henry VIII and other royalty in England and France
- European explorers were amazed when they found different species of strawberries in the Americas. Cross-breeding the varieties soon followed.
- There are more than 100 species and varieties of strawberries today. The quest for the perfect version continues.
Nutrition and Health Facts
- Strawberries are over 90% water making the carb count relatively low
- They're loaded with vitamin C, B9, manganese, and potassium
- They're packed with antioxidants and plant compounds
- Certain studies show that berry consumption leads to improved heart health and blood-sugar levels