Grocery Category Operations Specialist
We’re seeking a new Grocery Category Specialist to join our head office team.
This position is best suited for an individual who has grocery management experience and store or store-assistant management experience.
What you’ll be doing
The Grocery Category Operations Specialist manages all buying, costing, and pricing activities for the category aligning with category strategy and company goals. Above all else, they are the company expert for grocery operations. They report directly to the COO
Main Responsibilities of Position
- Model our Meridian Purpose and Values and create the Best Possible Experience for customers and staff.
- Create a culture that is warm, accepting, and inclusive, where people feel valued and their opinions and contribution matter.
- Coordinate, supervise, and support in-store operations to maintain clean, fresh, fully merchandized category department in each store.
- Buying – strategically sourcing products that align with our brand strategy.
- Value $ - familiar products at a fair price
- Local (if available)
- Story (Dept of Story, private label opportunity?)
- Everything else
- Product Selection – constant review of high & low selling products
- Pricing – following strategic pricing model and promotional plans
- Establish and maintain strong vendor relations
- POS item maintenance
- Monitor and manage category operational costs, sales, and profit
- Develop, implement, and monitor all of the category’s systems, procedures, and processes to increase productivity and effectiveness
- Identify category business opportunities and areas for growth, developing and implementing growth strategies, and labour budgets
- Routinely communicate with department and store managers to discuss ongoing activities and problems, and to develop strategies for a more efficient operation
- Ensure category compliance with health and safety regulations and standards
- Act as a motivational leader and inspire the team, coaching and mentoring staff
- Review training needs of the department. Implement training where needed. Develop succession plans for future staff development
- Maintain a positive collaborative working relationship with managers and team members, strive for harmony and teamwork with all other departments
Store Level Support and Activities
- Consistently check-in and communicate daily and weekly updates to department and store management.
- Consistently communicate plans, priorities, and expectations to department managers and insure they have the information they need to run successful operations.
- Store visits – visit every store a minimum of 1-2 times monthly, and/or more as required.
- Store visits – 3 out of 5 days should be spent instore.
Store visit activities include:
- Celebrating wins and progress toward the achievement of goals
- Department audits to identify standards gaps and opportunities, and plan follow up next steps
- Monitor the customer experience (direct observation, review mystery shop results)
- Assist/support department management where needed to improve operations and the Meridian Experience
- Supervise inventory control, including stock levels, new listings, out-of-stock SKU’s, and waste management
- Ensure equipment is in good working condition and maintained
- Advise store & dept management on opportunities for labour efficiency
- Present and support the implementation of period plans
Employee Support, Development & Training
Together with Store Managers, Specialists provide support in the following ways:
- Remain aware of each department manager’s developmental needs and craft plans to increase their capability and help them achieve goals.
- Consistently evaluate where department managers are on their development path and tailor coaching to meet their needs.
- Conduct consistent and meaningful development conversations to support managers.
- Consistently acknowledge, thank, and praise others for their contribution so they know what they are doing well.
- Participate in dept manager Success Plan reviews
- Support dept hiring and training as required
Sales and Merchandising
- Consistently monitor and assess product selection, quality, freshness, and display standards
- Set sales goals & participate in quarterly and annual results evaluations and forecasting
- Achieve sales and profit targets through effective planning and operational coordination.
- Research & development and new private label product innovation
Weekly/monthly/seasonal promotional planning
- Vendor support, through ad dollars, displays contests, free promotional product, demos…
- Direct promotional display plans
- Track item promotion performance
What will be achieved and how will success be measured:
- Team engagement and development
- Customer Net Promoter Scores & Mystery Shop results
- Store and category performance KPI’s
General Requirements of Position
- Align with Meridian brand and corporate values
- 3+ years supervisory experience
- 3+ years grocery store management experience
- Outstanding interpersonal skills and professional demeanor
- Strong leadership skills
- Positive and proactive nature
- Communicates with honesty and clarity, and creates the space for others to do the same
- Highly organized, solution-oriented, and an aptitude for multi-tasking
- Demonstrates leadership and adaptability under pressure
- Strong knowledge of various business functions including retail sales, customer service, buying, inventory management, and quality assurance
- Passionate, energetic, and love a fast-paced, highly collaborative environment
- Self-awareness, with a desire for constant self-development
- Computer literate with Microsoft Suite (excel, word, outlook, etc.)
- Experience with POS systems is an asset
- Food Safe Level 1
- First aid Level 1
- Ability to lift up to 50 lbs continuously
- Ability to work on your feet all day, bending, leaning, crouching and walking.
- Ability to work for extended periods of time in a refrigerated environment (cooler or freezer)
We’re a locally owned & operated family business with 8 stores in the lower mainland. Fresh describes everything we do, from free range and grass-fed meats raised without added growth hormones, to Ocean Wise sustainable seafood, locally harvested produce and artisan breads baked daily. Every day, our goal is to delight people’s senses with an abundant selection of the freshest food available.
How to Apply
Please Include your wage expectation.
Please note: Only qualified individuals being considered will be contacted for an interview